Current purchase price:
• The author, a veteran, is professor and chief of general surgery for the University of Mississippi Medical Center.
• Details the struggles at five iconic American battles: Bataan, Anzio, Bastogne (World War II); Chosin (Korea); Khe Sanh (Vietnam).
• Most readers do not think about what happens to wounded soldiers; this book is as gripping and moving as any great military history, yet it revolves around the immediate care of soldiers who have suffered in combat. All of the medical personnel discussed are often within in yards of the fighting. In many ways, this book provides a much better sense of actual combat than any fighting soldier’s memoir. Here, often in little to no light, often crawling on the ground, doctors try to assess who can be saved amidst the carnage. In some cases, they must attempt to provide medical care with no supplies.
• Nurses, doctors, and corpsmen are all discussed in each battle and how they worked together, living and dying alongside the soldiers they were charged with healing.
• As technology advanced, soldiers who would have died in previous wars were now saved, but as the author reveals through the recollection of doctors, the medical staff were as scarred as the men they had kept alive—were they really doing the soldiers a service? Soldiers who would have to carry on with a disfigured face, without an arm, leg, pissing in a bag, or more?
This is a very powerful book, well written, passionate, and provides the balance—what the actual sacrifices are—to traditional military histories.
By: Andrew Rawson
Aircraft Wrecks: A Walker's Guide
By: Nick Wotherspoon, Alan Clark, Mark Sheldon
German Tank Hunters
Edited and Introduced by: Bob Carruthers
D-Day - Cover Up at Pointe du Hoc
By: Gary Sterne
Panzers at War 1939-1942
By: Bob Carruthers
By: Michael Tolhurst
Winchester in the Great War
By: John J Eddleston
The Waterloo Armies
By: Philip Haythornthwaite
Beaufighters in the Night
By: Lt Col. 'Brick' Eisel USAF
Air War Market Garden: So Near and Yet So Far
By: Martin Bowman
The Last Days of the High Seas Fleet
By: Nicholas Jellicoe
A Woman Living in the Shadow of the Second World War
By: Linda Grace, Helena Hall, Margaret Nicolle
Zeppelin Over Suffolk
By: Mark Mower
By: Martin Bowman, Graham Simons
By: Philip Warner